Friday, January 9, 2009

Day #9: January 9, 2009 - Matthew 7:1-20

A final illustration of Pharisaic practices pertains to judging. The Pharisees were then judging Christ and finding Him to be inadequate. He was not offering the kind of kingdom they anticipated or asking for the kind of righteousness they were exhibiting. So they rejected Him. Jesus therefore warned them against hypocritical judging.

This passage does not teach that judgments should never be made. Matthew 7:5 does speak of removing the speck from your brother’s eye. The Lord’s point was that a person should not be habitually critical or condemnatory of a speck of sawdust in someone else’s eye when he has a plank—a strong hyperbole for effect—in his own eye. Such action is hypocritical. Though judgment is sometimes needed, those making the distinctions must first be certain of their own lives.

Furthermore when seeking to help another, one must exercise care to do what would be appreciated and beneficial. One should never entrust holy things (what is sacred) to unholy people (“dogs” in Phil. 3:2) or throw... pearls to "pigs". Dogs and pigs were despised in those days. The meaning is simple - If a believer is in sin and their response when confronted, has been to mock God and trivialize their sin, don't keep sharing the pearls of God's word and truth with them.

Earlier in this sermon Jesus had given the disciples a model prayer. Now He reminds them that God welcomes prayer, and urged them to come to Him continuously and persistently. This is emphasized by the present tenses in the verbs: “keep on asking”; “keep on seeking”; “keep on knocking” (7:7). Why? Because your Father in heaven delights in giving good gifts (James 1:17) to those who persist in prayer.

No decent father would give his son a stone instead of a round loaf of bread (which looked like a stone), or a snake instead of a similar-appearing fish. If an earthly father, with his sinful (evil) nature, delights to do right materially for his children, it makes sense that the righteous, heavenly Father will much more reward His children spiritually for their persistence.

This verse is commonly referred to as “the Golden Rule.” The principle is that what people ordinarily want others to do for them should be what they practice toward those others. This principle summarizes the essential teachings of the Law and the Prophets. But such a principle cannot be consistently practiced by a natural person. Only a person who is walking with the Lord is able to practice this rule and thereby demonstrate the spiritual change that has come about in his life. An individual who is able to live this kind of life possesses the righteousness Jesus demanded.


Elaborating on the Golden Rule, Jesus presented the clear way of access into righteousness. The righteous life that God requires does not come through the wide gate and the broad road. Rather it comes through the small gate and the narrow road. In light of the whole sermon, it was obvious Jesus was comparing the wide gate and the broad road to the outward righteousness of the Pharisees. If those listening to Jesus followed the Pharisees’ teachings, their path would lead to destruction. The narrow gate and road referred to Jesus’ teaching, which emphasized not external requirements but internal transformation.

Even the Lord Jesus acknowledged that few would find the true way, the way that leads to life. After presenting the true way of access into His kingdom, Jesus gave a warning about false prophets. He referred to these advocates of the broad way as ferocious wolves who appear harmless as sheep. How can one determine the character of false teachers? He need only look at the fruit they produce. Grapes and figs do not grow on thorn-bushes or thistles. Good fruit trees produce good fruit, but bad fruit trees produce bad fruit.

In Jesus’ evaluation, the Pharisees were obviously producing bad fruit; the only thing to do with bad trees is to cut them down and destroy them. If they do not fulfill their purpose for existence, they should be removed. I'm sure that those hearing this sermon must have wondered about the religious leaders, who seemed to be good men, teaching spiritual truths and about the Messiah and His kingdom. Jesus made it clear these false prophets were not good for they were leading others astray. Even if they were doing supernatural deeds—prophesying in His name, driving out demons, and performing many miracles, they were not obedient to the Father, continually doing His will. They would be refused admission to the kingdom because Jesus had no personal relationship with them.


SO WHAT? (what will I do what I have read?)


When I read this passage, I'm reminded of a saying that my brother Marty likes to use - "we don't judge people, but we are called to be fruit inspectors". I like that saying because it is biblical. What kind of fruit am I producing? What areas of my life need addressing and shoring up? The most glaring is my health and the shape I'm in. So, here are my goals. By June 27 (first day of vacation) I want to drop four waste sizes - from my current 42 down to a 38. As soon as the gym across the street opens, daily work outs and for the rest of this year, no sodas and no desserts.

Lord, continue to make me aware of the needs around me. Give me eyes to see those who are hurting and those that need a word of encouragement. Once again, strip me of my self-centeredness and my agenda, so I can slow down to meet those needs. Lord, use this Sundays message to inspire people to get healthy spiritually. Use the message Sunday to bring people to a point in their walk with you that they know how to feed themselves. Use the message to Sunday to speak to some about getting off the sidelines and into the game here at COV.

PRAYER

"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!" Habakkuk 2:3 (LB)

Lord, remind me that change - real change takes time. Continue to conform me into the likeness of your Son. Help me to live like Him and love like Him and see people like Jesus sees them.

"Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." Matthew 9:35-38 (NIV)

Walk with Kelsey today. Open up doors and allow her to finish her masters and get that teaching credential. Walk with Matt today - bless his ministry and use him in his church to impact many. Walk with Drew today as he starts classes. Bless him Lord and continue to give him a heart to work hard in hi studies. Walk with Katie today. Let her light shine on that soccer field. Lord use her to be a godly influence in the team and coaches. Protect her Lord. Walk with Emily. Give her the courage to stand tall for you and be a witness for you and to be a voice for those who have no voice. Build her leadership Lord and break her heart with the things that break your heart. Lord, heal Sharon. Watch over her and bless her.

For the people of COV, give them a desire today to share their story of faith with someone in their world. Give them courage and boldness. Break their heart with the lostness of people. Lord, build our church. Raise up leaders. Raise up teachers of your Word. Raise up children's workers and student ministry workers. Raise up future Elders. Lord, make COV into a lighthouse in this valley.


4 comments:

  1. Good for you on your goal, Mike! I also have an exercise regimen--and may times I don't want to do it. What has helped me in those times is to JUST GO. Even if I don't plan to do much at the gym, I go anyway. And usually I can manage a decent workout. This is just my experience--and how I handle the internal resistance to working out. This helps me, maybe it will help you.

    About the casting pearls/judging: My former boss/friend who is gay got "married" last fall. I have been very uncomfortable with this development. In December, we had a chance to sit down and he told me how hurt he was that I didn't sign the wedding card congratulating him. I have to say I really appreciated this gesture from him. And, although I really do wish him (and his partner) all the happiness in the world, I just couldn't be happy for them in this instance. In my understanding of God's word, this behavior is clearly outside of His guidelines and plan for us---and as such ultimately leads to death (spiritual at least, if not early physical death as well).

    Anyway, I have written a long letter to my friend trying to explain my actions, and why I AM his friend in this instance. I did this because it helps me clarify my thoughts. I am not trying to judge him--since I am not perfect myself. But I want to be honest with him too. I haven't given him the letter mainly because I am not sure it would benefit him at this point. I think deep down he knows what he is doing/has done is wrong. I wish to be of maximum service to him--as a friend and as a Christian -- and at this point I am not clear as to the best way to do that.

    If I give him the letter, or convey the meaning of the letter, he may become angry and not be able to hear the real message. Maybe another way of looking at the "casting pearls before swine" is to exercise some restraint in giving a truthful, Biblical message to someone who is clearly not in a position to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Randy. You are a good man. I am praying for you and your ministry with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastor Mike, I really appreciate this study of the New Testament; it is a great benefit to our family. I am following along using the Message Bible, because it is in a way also a commentary on stricter translations, like KJV or even NIV (which I use for my daily, personal reading).

    The interpretation of verses 7-11 were especially helpful to me: "Don't bargain with God. Be direct. This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing. You're at least decent to your own children. So don't you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?"

    This is really helping my prayer life. Why be coy or beat-around-the-bush when talking to our Father? He already knows our hearts. As the verse says: "Be direct." The key thing for me is to not only ask in Christ's name, but to be a sure as I possibly can that what I am asking for, is for His sake."

    ReplyDelete