Friday, January 16, 2009

Day #16: January 16, 2009 - Matthew 11:1-24

When John heard of all Jesus was doing, he sent some of his disciples to ask Jesus, Are You the One who was to come, or should we expect someone else? The words “the One who was to come” are a messianic title based on Psalms 40:7 and 118:26. John must have thought, If I am Messiah’s forerunner and Jesus is the Messiah, why am I in prison? John needed reassurance and clarification, for he had expected the Messiah to overcome wickedness, judge sin, and bring in His kingdom.


Jesus did not answer John with a direct yes or no. Instead, He told John’s disciples, Go back and report to John what they heard and saw taking place. Among the notable events occurring were the blind being given sight -lame people walking, lepers being cured, the deaf hearing, the dead being given life, and the good news being preached to the poor. These works would, of course, indicate that Jesus indeed is the Messiah (Isa. 35:5-6; 61:1). Though He will ultimately bring judgment to this world by judging sin when He brings in His kingdom, the timing then was not appropriate. Israel’s rejection of Him was causing a postponement in establishing the physical kingdom. But all, including John, who truly perceived the person and work of Christ would be blessed.


John’s question prompted Jesus to give a discourse to the crowd. Perhaps some began to wonder about John’s commitment to the Messiah in light of his question. So Jesus explained that John was not weak and vacillating. He was not a papyrus reed that could be shaken by every breeze that blew. Nor was he a man dressed in fine clothes, the kind worn in kings’ palaces. In fact John the Baptist wore the opposite . John was a true prophet who proclaimed the message that God demanded repentance. In fact he was even more than a prophet, for he, in fulfillment of Malachi 3:1, was Jesus’ own messenger or forerunner. Jesus added that of all men who had lived on earth, none was greater than John the Baptist. And yet one who is least in the kingdom will be greater than John. The privileges of Jesus’ disciples sharing in the kingdom will be far greater than anything anyone could experience on earth.

But the kingdom had been subject to violence and evil men were trying to take it by force (Matt. 11:12). The religious leaders of Jesus’ day (forceful men) were resisting the movement introduced by John, Jesus, and the apostles. Those leaders wanted a kingdom, but not the kind Jesus was offering. So they were resisting the message and attempting to establish their own rule. But John’s message was true, and if the nation would accept it, and consequently accept Jesus, John would fulfill the prophecies of Elijah.

Jesus compared that generation to a group of little children sitting in the marketplaces who could not be pleased by anything. Like children rejecting the suggestions to “play” wedding (flute... dance) or funeral (dirge... mourn) music, the people rejected both John and Jesus. They were not satisfied with John the Baptist because he did not eat or drink, or with Jesus who did eat and drink with sinners. They said John had a demon, and they rejected Jesus as a glutton and a drunkard and a friend of tax collectors and “sinners.” Though that generation was not happy with anything, the wisdom of the approach of both John and Jesus would be proved right by the results, namely, that many people would be brought into the kingdom.


Though it was not Jesus’ primary thrust pronounce judgment, He did denounce sin. Here He specifically pronounced condemnation against the cities in which some of His most significant miracles had occurred—Korazin... Bethsaida, and Capernaum, all three near the Sea of Galilee’s northwest shore. By contrast, three terribly wicked Gentile cities—Tyre and Sidon (v. 22), cities on the Phoenician coast 35 and 60 miles, respectively, from the Sea of Galilee, and Sodom, more than 100 miles south—would have repented if they had seen Jesus’ miracles.

Their judgment, though terrible, is less than that on the Jewish cities. All three Galilean cities, in spite of their greater “light,” rejected the Messiah, and are today in ruins. Though Jesus lived in Capernaum for some time, it would not be lifted up to the skies, or exalted. Instead its inhabitants would go down to the depths, literally, to hades, the place of the dead. In contrast with His condemnation on the three Galilean cities, Jesus issued a great call to those who in faith would turn to Him. Jesus had previously condemned that generation for their childish reactions Here He declared that true discipleship can be enjoyed only by those who come to Him in childlike faith. God in His good pleasure had hidden the great mysteries of His wise dealings from the wise and learned (the leaders of that day) but had revealed them to little children. By placing themselves under His yoke and learning from Him, they may find rest for their souls from sins’ burdens. By yoking, they become true disciples of Jesus and joined Him in His proclamation of divine wisdom. To learn from Him is to be His disciple. People can trade their heavy, tiring burdens for His yoke and burden, which by contrast are easy and light.

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read?)

As I think through the first ten chapters of Matthew, in general, I see a series of testimonies that prove who Jesus is. He presents the testimony of history (1:1–17), of the miraculous birth (1:18–25), of fulfilled prophecy (2:1–23), of Christ’s forerunner (3:1–12), of God the Father (3:13–17), of Jesus’ power (4:1–11), of His words (5:1—7:29), of His works (8:1—9:38), and of His disciples (10:1–42). Matthew gathers all of that evidence in the courtroom, as it were, to testify that Jesus is the Christ, the promised Messiah and Son of God. Awesome reminders of the life of Jesus and power of His ministry. Lord, do a great work here at COV.

But now, here in chapter 11, I see something that strikes me as odd - I see John the baptist with questions and doubts. At first glance I struggle with that - a hero of the faith with doubts, with questions?? How can this be - but then, I am actually a bit reassured - that even a man of John’s spiritual stature and gifts was subject to doubt. This giant of the faith was human. I'm grateful for that example. How many times do I doubt? I doubt my effectiveness. I doubt my giftedness. I doubt my leadership. I doubt my fathering. Then, I am gently reminded by the Holy Spirit that He can use me and He is using me. I may never have the acclaim or notoriety I once thought was important, but as long as God is working through me and using me I will be content.

Lord, today - help me push forward. Give me your strength and power to forge ahead. And even though I am acutely aware of my failures and shortcomings, remind me it's not about me. It's always about you.

"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." Psalm 127:1 (NIV)

"This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty." Zechariah 4:6 (NIV)

PRAYER

Father, your Spirit has reminded me today of how many folks have doubts - everyday. So many plagued by doubts. Plagued by past sin and past failures. Lord, encourage Your Your people at COV today. Remind them of your future and Your plans for them. Help them forgive themselves, just as You've forgiven them. Give me a ministry of encouragement today. Everyone that I encounter this morning Lord, give me a word of encouragement that I can pass onto them. Help me build people today. I love you Lord. Thank you for loving me and believing in me.

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:13 (NIV)





No comments:

Post a Comment