Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day #14: January 14, 2009 - Matthew 10:1-15

Twelve of the disciples who were following Jesus (a “disciple,” was a learner and a follower) were designated as “apostles.” (By the way, their wives were not the Epistles) These Twelve were specifically sent forth (“apostle” means “one sent forth to represent an official”) by Jesus and given His authority to cast out demons and heal every kind of disease and sickness. The 12 Apostles were here named in pairs and probably were sent out in that fashion (“He sent them out two by two” Mark 6:7).

Each time the 12 Apostles are listed, Peter is mentioned first and Judas, last. Jesus had changed Simon’s name to Peter (John 1:42). Soon after the brothers Peter and Andrew followed Jesus, another set of brothers—James and John—did the same (Matt. 4:18-22). Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from Bethsaida by the Sea of Galilee (John 1:44). Nothing is known about Bartholomew, except that he was possibly known as Nathanael (John 1:45-51).


Thomas was called “Didymus” (twin) in John 11:16. He was one who questioned Jesus’ resurrection (John 20:24-27). Matthew referred to himself by his former dubious occupation of tax collecting (whereas Mark and Luke simply listed him as Matthew). James son of Alphaeus is mentioned only in the lists of apostles; Thaddaeus may be the same as Judas, son of James (Luke 6:16; Acts 1:13). Simon the Zealot had been a member of the revolutionary Jewish Zealots, a political party that sought to overthrow the Roman Empire. And Judas Iscariot, of course, later betrayed the Lord (Matt. 26:47-50).

The apostles’ message, like their Lord’s, would be authenticated by miracles. They were not to make elaborate provisions for their travel, thus avoiding the impression they were engaged in a business enterprise. As the apostles ministered, they in turn were to be ministered to by their recipients. In every town or village they were to find a worthy person and stay with that individual. Such “worthiness” would obviously be determined by a favorable response to the message preached. Those who rejected the message and failed to welcome the apostles were to be passed by. Shaking the dust off their feet as they left an inhospitable place symbolized their rejection of the Jewish city as if it were a despised Gentile city, whose very dust was unwanted. The Lord said that judgment on such people would be greater than that on Sodom and Gomorrah when the final day of judgment comes.



SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read?)

As obscure as it may be, I am impressed with the word Apostle - ones who were sent. While we don't give out titles to people today, I have a sense of being "called" by God to do a work for Him and I feel an obligation as one sent on a mission. My mission - make disciples and build bridges for people to meet Jesus. My "call" - to pastor/shepherd COV to be all it was designed to be. To be a church where that makes a difference. To build a people who grow and mature and fulfill the "call" that God has put on their heart and lives.

"God's gifts and his call are irrevocable." Romans 11:29 (NIV)

God, every morning I wake up, remind me of my job and responsibility. Day by day increase that burden. Don't let me waste my time.

"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16 (NIV)

PRAYER

Make clear to be my mission. Let me focus in on it with laser like focus. Lord, give me the focus of a Paul. Give me a single mindedness. Help me be aware of every single person in my life today that needs a touch from you.

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:7-14 (NIV)

3 comments:

  1. I have some questions on this passage of Scripture. In verses 1 - 4, Jesus called his 12 disciples, yet sends them out as apostles and "gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness." The last apostle named is Judas Iscariot.
    This means that Jesus gave this apostolic authority to His betrayer, and that Judas (for how long?) was preceived as Christ's representative by the people he came into contact with and, presumably, performed the same miracles as the other apostles. Jesus knew that Judas was His betrayer, but Judas must not have known at that time that he would eventually betray Jesus.
    This is very difficult for me to grasp and understand: if others who came into contact with Jesus (or His apostles) believed in Him as the Son of God and in His teachings, and they died prior to Christ's death and resurrection, were they saved? And if they were saved, was not Judas Iscariot -- who obviously believed in Jesus, His teachings, and was even made an apostle from among His disciples -- also saved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve for your question. My simple answer as to why Jesus would have given this kind of power, authority and responsibility to someone He knew would betray Him is simple - The Sovereignty of God. The long answer is much more complex and multi-faceted. I am emailing you some note from John Macarthur on this passage. Read through those notes and then let's talk. Great question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I'm about six pages into the notes - as you said, it is quite complex, multi-faceted --- and fascinating! I look forward to finishing the reading and then speaking with you about what I've learned (or the lack thereof):-):-)

    ReplyDelete