Saturday, November 14, 2009

DAY #318: Hebrews 1:1-2:4

The same God who spoke through the prophets had now spoken through his Son, through Christ. Jesus completed and fulfilled the message that was originally brought by the prophets and forefathers. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, refers to Jesus as an heir who will take his position as ruler of the new Kingdom. Referring to Christ as the heir gives him the highest honor and position. This passage alludes to the royalty of the Son.

The Son made the universe and everything in it (John 1:2). Jesus was active at the beginning of time as the agent of creation, and he will act at the end of time as the heir. Underneath Jesus’ human appearance as a Jewish carpenter-turned-preacher was God’s own glory. Jesus does more than merely reflect God, He is God. Everything about Jesus represents God exactly.

Because Christ sustains everything, nothing in creation is independent from him. All things are held together in a coherent or logical way, sustained and upheld, prevented from dissolving into chaos. In him alone and the mighty power of his command, we find the unifying principle of all life. He is transcendent over all other powers.

He is able to do this because, after he died and rose again, he returned to heaven and sat down in the place of highest honor. Jesus’ death had accomplished what all the animal sacrifices could never do—it cleansed people from the stain of sin. This statement reveals the central theme of the letter: Christ’s superior sacrifice for sins. No sacrifice for sin could be greater than the sacrifice offered by the Creator—his death on a cross. Jesus cleansed the world from the domination of sin and took the penalty for our individual sins by dying in our place. No other penalty needs to be paid. We can be completely clean because of what Jesus has done.

Christ is far greater than the angels because the name God gave him is far greater than their names. The “name” Jesus received was “Son.” This name identified that his relationship with God, his power to forgive people’s sins, and his ability to make God known were far superior to any other created being’s.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what i have read today?)

I am humbled as I read this passage this morning. Humbled by the power of Jesus. Humbled by the majesty of Jesus. Humbled by the work that Jesus did. Humbled by the royalty of Jesus. I'm both humbled and stricken in my heart. How many times do I take Jesus for granted? How many times do I keep Him waiting? How many times do I live like i don't need Him? How many times do I deny Him by the way I live or treat others?

Oh Lord, thank You, thank You, thank You for sending Jesus for us. Today Lord, I want to honor His name. I want to live for His name. I want to make a difference for His name. He is worthy.

"Worthy is the Lamb that hath been slain to receive the power, and riches, and wisdom, and might and honor, and glory, and blessing." Revelation 5:12 (ASV)

Lord, I recommit my life to You this morning. You have all of me, all of my heart, all of my soul, all of my mind and all of my strength. I love You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment