Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DAY #42: February 11, 2009 - Matthew 24:32-51

Once again, we see Jesus using a parable. Jesus answered the disciples’ question regarding when the events he spoke about would happen (future events) by talking about a fig tree. The disciples, like anyone living in Palestine, knew when summer would come by observing a fig tree. The dry, brittle twigs getting tender with rising sap and the leaves coming out were certain signs that summer was near. Inherent in this process is patient waiting. There is no hurrying the natural cycle of the fig tree. So all believers must patiently await the Second Coming.

This verse means that the second coming of Jesus is both certain and near. The fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy would assure the disciples that the other prophecies he had given regarding the end times would also come true. There are three views of the meaning of the words: this generation will not pass from the scene before all these things take place. (1) It refers only to those alive at the time Jesus spoke who still would be alive at the destruction of Jerusalem; (2) it refers to the end times only; (3) it refers both to the destruction of Jerusalem and the end times—the destruction of Jerusalem containing within itself the elements of the final end times.
“This generation” could refer both to those living at a given time as well as to race or lineage (therefore, he would be speaking of the Jewish race). My sense is that makes the third view above most likely.

The events of Matthew 24:1-28 would occur initially within the lifetime of Jesus’ contemporaries. Not that all the problems would stop at the end of their lifetimes, but that all these things would be under way, verifying what Jesus had said. Jesus explained that many of those alive at that time would witness the destruction of Jerusalem. In addition, the Jewish nation would be preserved and remain on earth, so Jews also would witness the end-time events.

There could be no doubt in the disciples’ minds about the certainty of these prophecies. While heaven and earth would eventually come to an end, Jesus’ words (including all his teachings during his time on earth) would remain forever. While Jesus had given general “signs” to watch for regarding the coming of the end, he clearly explained to the disciples that the exact day or hour was not known by the angels or the Son (Jesus himself). It is good that we don’t know exactly when Christ will return. If we knew the precise date, we might be tempted to be lazy in our work for Christ. Worse yet, we might plan to keep sinning and then turn to God right at the end.

When Jesus said that even he did not know the time of the end, he was affirming his limitations as a human (Philippians 2:5-8). Of course, God the Father knows the time, and Jesus and the Father are one. But when Jesus became a man, he voluntarily gave up the unlimited use of his divine attributes. On earth, Jesus laid aside his divine prerogatives and submitted to the Father’s will. Thus, only the Father knows exactly when Jesus will return. The emphasis of this verse is not on Jesus’ lack of knowledge, but rather on the fact that no one knows. It is God the Father’s secret to be revealed when he wills. No one can predict by Scripture or science the exact day of the Second Coming. Jesus was teaching that preparation, not calculation, was needed.

The first outpouring of God’s judgment upon sinful people in Noah’s day has a natural connection with the final outpouring at the Lord’s return. People will be going about their daily business, just as they were in Noah’s time (Genesis 7:17-24). Just as the flood caught them unaware and swept them away in judgment, so it will be when the Son of Man comes (1 Peter 3:20-21).
To further illustrate the suddenness of his return, Jesus pictured “business as usual” in Palestine—the men out working in the field; the women doing domestic chores such as grinding grain. The Second Coming will happen so suddenly that in the blink of an eye, one of those people may be taken and the other left. The reason? One was ready and one was not. Believers must be on guard and alert, constantly ready for him to come at any time. Christ’s second coming will be swift and sudden. There will be no time for last-minute repenting or bargaining. The choice that people have already made will determine their eternal destiny.

Jesus points out the need for constant vigilance. A homeowner cannot know when a burglar might come to break into his home, so he must stay alert. So it will be with the return of Christ. He will come when least expected. In ancient times it was a common practice for masters to put one servant in charge of all the household business. The servant, described as faithful and sensible, parallels the disciples, who were given unprecedented responsibility by Jesus. Yet it also describes those appointed to positions of leadership in the church who should be found faithfully carrying out their duties when Jesus (the master) returns. These servants will be given great rewards.

Some servants, however, might decide to take advantage of their leadership positions, bullying others and indulging themselves. The servant may have thought his master would be gone a long time, but one day, the master will return unannounced and unexpectedly. It will be sudden and without warning, and the evil servant will be “caught in the act.” The master’s judgment against his wicked servant will be extremely severe. Even worse than that horrible punishment will be the servant’s eternal destiny. He will be assigned to a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth (referring to hell). God’s coming judgment is as certain as Jesus’ return to earth.

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

Be alert. Stay focused. Don't fall asleep spiritually. Don't slumber. Don't get lazy. Keep your eye on the prize. These are all the thoughts that run through my mind as I read today's passage. Yet, how easy is it to fall into the trap of getting comfortable and satisfied. How easy is it to compare myself to others and think I'm OK with where I am. How easy it to get dull to the things of the Lord - His word and His promptings and His voice.

We live in a valley where so many believers have fallen asleep. Their faith has become stagnate and their love has grown cold. Lord, everyday, wake me up the purposes and promises You have for me that day. Open my eyes to see the needs around me. Open my eyes to the signs of our times. Open my to the service opportunities. Open my eyes to the folks who need a touch of love. Open my eyes to the people who need Jesus.

"Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place." Revelation 2:4-5 (NIV)

PRAYER

Lord, help me keep first things first. Help me keep you my highest priority and my first love. God do a great work in the hearts of your people at COV. Don't let their love for you turn cold. Drive them to your word and to their knees. Keep their faith vital and alive.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation of verse 34, it had always been a source of confusion for me.

    In your prayer today, you ask our Lord to drive us to our knees. I know that scripture often refers to "every knee shall bend" and praying while kneeling. I know that the physical position one is in is not the key factor in communicating with our Father, but when I myself am on my knees, it does help keep my mind focused in prayer. Oftentimes, when I am either laying down, sitting or walking while I pray, I find my mind wandering. perhaps this is because when I am lying down, my body/mind associates this with "time to wander off to sleep and dreams", and when I am walking I must also remain alert of my surroundings.

    I have to admit that at my age I use construction worker's knee pads, but I stay very focused when I am kneeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for your life Steve. Thanks for letting God grow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike my Dad, I'm young and strong so it's not hard for me to kneel down.

    I like how you explain that it's a good thing that people don't know when Christ will return. It's just like taking a test but you already know the answers. This means that 1) You don't have to study, and 2) It's cheating.
    Not studying refers to being lazy in your spiritual life and cheating refers to waiting till the last moment to accept Jesus in your life.

    ReplyDelete