Wednesday, August 26, 2009

DAY #238: Romans 9:30-10:21

Some people still stumble over Christ because salvation by faith doesn’t make sense to them. They would rather try to work their way to God, or else they expect Him simply to overlook their sins. Others stumble over Christ because his values are the opposite of the world’s. Christ asks for humility, and many are unwilling to humble themselves before him. He requires obedience and many refuse to put their will at His disposal. The “rock” has caused them to stumble. They heard about Christ and misunderstood, so they tripped over the one thing that could have saved them.

Paul quotes from Isaiah 28:16. Isaiah declared God’s warning of destruction to Israel by Assyria. Then he said, “I am placing a stone in Jerusalem that causes people to stumble.” This stone refers to the righteous few and to Christ. Some will stumble over him, but those who put their trust in him need never fear that their trust is misplaced. When we have placed our feet on the Rock of Zion, the Lord Jesus Christ himself, we will not be disappointed.

The Jews certainly had enthusiasm in their devotion to God and their practice of the law—Paul knew that from his own experience. However, it was misdirected zeal. The people Paul loved (the Jews) were so busy trying to keep the law that their zeal was actually keeping them from understanding God’s way of salvation. Instead, they were clinging to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law.

Anyone can say he or she believes something, but God knows each person’s heart. In this confession, it is not enough to merely utter the words; they must be declared, professed, proclaimed from the heart, expressing our full conviction. The gospel message in a nutshell is confess and believe and you will be saved. There is no reference to works or rituals.

You must first believe in your heart—that belief makes you right with God (God declares you “not guilty” for your sins). By prayer to God, you confess with your mouth your belief in God and what he has done for you.

All believers are sent to announce this Good News. The process of salvation begins with the one who tells another the Good News. Like Paul and the early Christians, who spread the message of Christ despite persecution and even death, we should be eager to share this Good News of salvation to all who will listen.

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)
The message is so simple: God loves you. He loves you so much that He sent his son Jesus Christ to die for our sins - for everything we have ever done wrong. How should we respond to this love and offer of eternal life?
I Admit, I Believe, I Commit and Confess, and I Depend.

A – I admit I need a savior. Say to God - "there’s no way I can get to heaven on my own. I’m a sinner. I’ve blown it. Heaven’s perfect, I’m not. I admit it. I need a savior."

B – I believe. “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Say to God - "I belive that Jesus is the Son of God>

C – I confess. “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in your heart God has raised Him from the dead you will be saved.” You say - "God I confess that Jesus in my Lord. I Believe that You raised Him from the dead. I’m trusting in You."

D – I depend. I depend on God's great promise found in John 3:16 - “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
Lord, remove the roadblocks and barriers of unbelief that so many have today. Raise up men and women at COV who will be bold and courageous to speak out and stand up for you. Bring people to you this week. Give people the courage to step across the line and quit playing Micky Mouse with You.

1 comment:

  1. At the beginning of Romans 10, Paul talks a lot about righteousness. The righteousness of God refers to His justice.

    "Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne, love and faithfulness go before You." Psalm 89:14

    Lord, help us understand Your righteousness towards us. In Jesus Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete