Monday, July 27, 2009

DAY #208: Acts 17:10-31

Paul’s dialogue in the marketplace led to an invitation to address the Council of Philosophers, also known as the Areopagus, which had been the judicial and legislative seat of government of Athens.

These intellectuals, ever interested in hearing new ideas, wanted to hear about this new religion that Paul was presenting. They wanted to know what it was all about. Here the descendants of the most influential thinkers in Western civilization, who had been on a centuries-long quest for knowledge, were given an opportunity to receive the ultimate knowledge about God entering the human race to redeem fallen humanity and put them in a position to know the person of Jesus Christ.


Paul was well prepared to speak to this group. He came from Tarsus, an educational center, and had the training and knowledge to present his beliefs clearly and persuasively. Paul was a rabbi, taught by the finest scholar of his day, Gamaliel, and he had spent much of his life thinking and reasoning through the Scriptures.


Luke recorded this sermon in more detail than many of the others, likely as a sample of how Paul addressed the typical lost, intellectual Greek. Rather than arguing the Scriptures as he would with a Jewish audience, he adapted his message and backed up a step or two to speak of a Creator; then he moved toward speaking about a Savior and Judge.


Paul began his address by affirming the religious nature of his audience by explaining what he had seen in their city. He chose a starting point, a place where they could agree, rather than starting with their differences. The Athenians had built an idol to an Unknown God for fear of missing blessings or receiving punishment.


The Athenian philosophers were either polytheistic (worshiped many gods) or pantheistic (believed all nature was god), so it would be natural for them to build an altar, superstitious that they might have overlooked a god. Archaeological finds have shown many such altars with the inscription, “to the unknown god(s).” Paul’s opening statement to the men of Athens was about their “unknown god.” Paul was not endorsing this god but using the inscription as a point of entry for his witness to the one true God.


The central body of Paul’s speech is a presentation of God as the Creator, who made the world and everything in it. This Creator doesn’t live in man-made temples, even spectacular wonder-of-the-world Greek structures like the one a few hundred yards up the hill from where they sat on the Acropolis. God does not need anything from humans since he has no needs. From general characteristics of the Creator God, Paul moved to the more specific Judeo-Christian claims that God created all life and all nations from one man.


This “unknown god” is not only knowable, he is not far from any person. This contrasted to the Greek gods, which lived in seclusion and could not be approached. The need that motivated the construction of an altar “To an Unknown God” could be realized in Christ, for he was very near and available—to be known!


Paul began to wrap up his message, building this statement on all that he had presented thus far and gently correcting where the Greeks had been incorrect: And since this is true, they needed to make some changes. Their thinking had been incorrect. They should not think of God as an idol who could be constructed by human hands. God is profoundly bigger than any idol.


This was a serious and somber word to the gathered Athenians. They would do well to hear it and respond. Whatever the nature and consequences of their former failure to respond to God, it was nothing compared to ignoring what was being offered in the finished work of Christ.
Paul confronted his listeners with Jesus’ resurrection and its meaning to all people—either blessing or punishment.


Although Paul knew it would offend their precious philosophies, he did not hold back the truth. Paul often would change his approach to fit his audience, as he did with this one, but he never would change his basic message.




SO WHAT? (what will i do with what i have read today?)


When I read this passage today, I am reminded of Romans 1:16, when Paul states;

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

Oh Lord, would you give us courage to speak for You. Would you move us from apathy and half-heartedness and an uncaring spirit to one where we can't help but speak and share and love and care and do something for You that makes a difference in the lives of others. Would You remind us of the reality of hell.


"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say. So they ordered them to withdraw from the Sanhedrin and then conferred together. "What are we going to do with these men?" they asked. "Everybody living in Jerusalem knows they have done an outstanding miracle, and we cannot deny it.


But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn these men to speak no longer to anyone in this name." Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard." Acts 4:13-20 (NIV)



Lord, give us eyes to see the needs around us and the heart to do something about it. Lord, help us - help me - die to myself. Lord, help me love people like you. Help me put their needs ahead of my own. Lord, draw people to COV. Draw them to the warmth of our church family and Lord, draw them to the life-changing power of Your word.

1 comment:

  1. As I read this portion of scripture my mind and heart thought about our intellect which is what the Greeks were all about. Is my Christian life full of the intellect of the world?
    My intellect tells me that I need to temper GODS WORD and what it says with my intellect, especially as it pertains to my Christian Walk. (rationalism?)
    This is where Faith comes in and the work of the HOLY SPIRIT.
    In my life, THE WORD tells me that I need to follow the Leading of the HOLY SPIRIT, which for me and my life brings a conflict with my intellect.
    As I stuggle daily, I need to remember that Satan "can" use my intellect to promote "his lie" in my life. My flesh tells me that our Heavenly Father is not really interested in every aspect of my life, the big things as well as the little things, but HE IS!!!
    Today let me call that Brother in Christ as that HOLY SPIRIT leads me and let me reach out for him.
    My prayer is that I might put some "skin in the game" for the Kingdom and for the BODY OF CHRIST. My prayer is that I might put aside my "intellect" and simply follow the leading of our HOLY SPIRIT in ALL THINGS.
    Thanks for your thoughts for Monday. They touched my very heart and they were an encouragement in my spiritual heart and mind.
    I have prayed for HIS BLESSINGS on you, your ministry, the flock and your family today.

    ReplyDelete