Thursday, May 28, 2009

DAY #148: John 4:27-54

As a result of Jesus’ conversation with the Samaritan woman, her bold witness in town, and the people’s curiosity, many became believers. Jesus’ proof was compelling. The unavoidable question each person must ask is, “Have I believed in Jesus?”

Many of the Samaritans who believed in Jesus were first drawn by the testimony of the woman about the mysterious man who told her everything she had ever done. They begged Jesus to stay at their village, and because of that, others believed when they heard Jesus for themselves. Many Samaritans had come to know absolutely and positively that Jesus was the Savior of the world.


After His experience in Samaria, Jesus went to Cana in Galilee, where he healed a government official’s son. Jesus’ name was known there, and so this government official went to find him. This man was very likely an official in Herod’s court, serving in some capacity in Capernaum, about twenty miles from Cana.


When the government official requested that Jesus heal his son, who was about to die, Jesus responded, “Must I do miraculous signs and wonders before you people will believe in me?” Jesus took the opportunity to address all the Galileans and reprimand them for being sign-seekers. But this Galilean was not merely a sign-seeker. He had a need, and he truly believed Jesus could meet that need. As a result, his need was met. The man believed the word that Jesus spoke, “Go back home. Your son will live!” and started on his way. The official believed Jesus’ word, and the healing was performed.


The details given tell the reader that the healing occurred at exactly the time Jesus spoke the words, “Your son will live!” Although the official’s son was twenty miles away, he was healed when Jesus spoke the word. Distance was no problem because Christ has mastery over space. This miracle produced faith in the officer and his entire household (including family members or servants).


Jesus’ miracles were “signs”—pointing the people who witnessed them to the one who performed the signs, Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God. If the miracle produced faith in Jesus only as a miracle worker and not as the Son of God, then the people missed the miracle as the sign it was intended to be.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)
Lord, give me Your compassion for people. Your example of love and going the distance for people, in spit of their immaturity and lack of faith is humbling. Lord, grow my love for people. Help me see them as they can be and will be and not as they are. Lord, thank you for seeing me for what I will be someday.
Lord, build a church at COV where our love for people sets us apart.
"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other." John 13:34-35 (MB)

Lord, I know that talk is cheap. So, when I am inconvenienced today - when the wrenches get thrown into my schedule - when blessed interruptions come my way, may my love for others win the day. Work in me and through me and with me and by me. Use me to be a conduit of Your love in all ways today.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome prayer. As I awoke struggling in myself this morning and continue, I was encouraged by your prayer as well as the body of your lesson today.
    Thanks for your encouragement in my heart today.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passage today reminds me of the story of Jericho because of haviing faith in God. God told Joshua to march around the city of Jericho for six days and on the seventh day, after walking around the city, make the priests blow their trumpets and all the Isrealites yell at the same time. When they yell, the walls of Jericho will crash on the groung and then I want you to destroy everything in Jericho but the prostitute that help our spies.

    Joshua and his army of Isrealites followed what God had told them. For having faith in Him, God rewarded them.

    Lord, help us have faith in Your words and meditate on the passages we read. In Jesus Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete