Wednesday, April 29, 2009

DAY #119: Luke 14:25-15:10

Great crowds were still following Jesus. Perhaps all these casual followers considered themselves “disciples” of this popular teacher. Jesus explained what it meant to truly be his disciple. His disciples had to love him more than their own family members. Certainly this caused a stir among the people. Who would possibly ask his followers to love him that way?

Jesus was not going against the fifth commandment to honor father and mother. Nor was he attempting to subvert the natural love that exists among family members. Instead, he was saying that his followers’ love for him should be so complete and wholehearted that their love for family members and for life itself would pale in comparison. In first-century Jewish family settings, deciding for Jesus could mean alienation from the family. Jesus warned the would-be disciples that they must be clear about their true allegiance. Those who cannot make that kind of commitment cannot be his disciple.

Besides being willing to love Jesus more than any others and more than life itself, the true disciple must be ready to carry his own cross and follow Jesus. Jesus gave this teaching to get the crowds to think through their enthusiasm for him. He encouraged those who were superficial either to go deeper or to turn back. Following Christ means total submission to him—perhaps even to the point of death.

Jesus promised his followers a Kingdom, but he also said that they would face difficulty and suffering because of their faith. Those on the fence needed to count the cost. When a builder doesn’t count the cost or estimates it inaccurately, his building may be left half-completed. What are those “costs” to believers? Christians may face loss of social status or wealth. They may be hated, separated from their family, and even put to death. All people must carefully count the cost of becoming Christ’s disciple so that they will know what they are getting into and won’t be tempted to turn back when the going gets tough.

In this second example, Jesus described a wise king’s decision to consider whether his ten thousand soldiers could defeat twice that number coming against him. He has to act, but should he fight or ask for peace? To rush out with his soldiers, without first discussing the options, would invite disaster for his nation. Far better to think it through beforehand. So those who want to follow Jesus should carefully consider their decision.

The cost to be counted is giving up everything for Jesus. To be preoccupied with money or possessions is to miss the demands and joys of true discipleship, as with the people who refused the host’s invitation to the Kingdom. Again Jesus painted no rosy picture of a high-paying job with all the benefits. He said that the way would be rough and would be a way of self-sacrifice. Oddly enough, however, this is the only way to true fulfillment and satisfaction.

In the ancient world, salt was used as a seasoning and as a preservative. The salt came mostly from salt marshes in the area southwest of the Dead Sea. This impure salt was susceptible to deterioration and could lose its flavor, leaving only useless crystals. Such salt was simply thrown away. Jesus’ question, “How do you make it salty again?” did not require an answer—for once salt has deteriorated, nothing is left but worthless residue.

Many Christians blend into the world and avoid the cost of standing up for Christ. But Jesus says if Christians lose their distinctive “saltiness,” they become worthless. Just as salt flavors and preserves food, Christ’s disciples are to preserve the good in the world, help keep it from spoiling, and bring new flavor to life. This requires careful planning, willing sacrifice, and unswerving commitment to Christ’s Kingdom. Being “salty” is not easy, but if Christians fail in this function, they fail to represent Christ in the world.

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have heard today?)

Jesus sets a pretty high bar for being a follower of His. Jesus doesn't ask for me to lead a perfect life (that is impossible), He doesn't ask for me to jump through one hoop after another for me to gain His love. What He asks for - what He requires is that I love Him more than anything else, and that in comparison my love for Him would dwarf the love I have for anything or anyone else.

Lord, I fall short here at times. I love you with all my heart. I love You with all my mind and strength, but there are times that I drift. There are times when my attention is elsewhere. There are times when my heart is elsewhere. God, pick me up when I fall. Set me on your path again when I drift. I want to be Your man. I want to be a fully devoted, whole-hearted follower of Yours. Use me today. Walk with me today. Help me be the hands and feet of Christ to others. Give me a heart of compassion for others.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. When Jesus talks about salt losing its saltiness, to me it refers to someone who had great faith in the Lord and then lost interest as his life continued. If it is not even worthy of being put into the manure pile, then to me this refers to going to hell.

    Lord, help us to always remember You and never deny You no matter what the obstacles are. In Jesus Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete