Wednesday, March 18, 2009

DAY #77: March 18, 2009 - Mark 14:1-31

In this pasage today, we read that Jesus was a guest of Simon. Mary brought a beautiful jar of expensive perfume, which she poured on Jesus’ head. It was a common custom at some Jewish meals for the honored guests to be anointed with oil, but it would not be so expensive. Such an anointing, with expensive oil, pictured a royal (messianic) anointing.

Because Judas was the treasurer of Jesus’ ministry and had embezzled funds, he no doubt wanted the perfume sold so that the proceeds could be put into his care. This event probably pushed Judas over the edge in his determination to betray Jesus. Jesus reprimanded the disciples, but comforted Mary. Jesus was affirming Mary’s unselfish act of worship. The essence of worshiping Christ is to regard him with utmost love, respect, and devotion, as well as to be willing to sacrifice to him what is most precious.

While the disciples misunderstood Jesus’ mission and constantly fought about places in the Kingdom and while the religious leaders stubbornly refused to believe in Jesus and plotted his death, this one quiet woman so loved Jesus and was so devoted to him that she considered no sacrifice too great for her beloved Master. She is an example to us all of unselfish devotion to our Savior.

The next evening (Wednesday or Thursday), Jesus arrived in Jerusalem with the twelve disciples. As Jesus and the disciples were eating, Jesus spoke the stunning words, “One of you will betray me.” The betrayer was one of his own chosen twelve disciples, one with whom the meal was being shared. Jesus’ words caused quite a stir among the disciples. They had heard Jesus tell them three different times that he would soon die, but that one of them would actually betray Jesus saddened them greatly.

Luke wrote that “Satan entered into Judas Iscariot” before he went to the religious leaders (Luke 22:3). However, Satan’s part in the betrayal of Jesus does not remove any of the responsibility from Judas. In God’s sovereign will and according to his timetable, he uses sinful men. But that doesn’t excuse their sin. All people will be held accountable for their choices and actions. Whatever Judas thought, Satan assumed that Jesus’ death would end Jesus’ mission and thwart God’s plan. Like Judas, Satan did not know that Jesus’ death and resurrection were the most important parts of God’s plan all along.

Jesus and the disciples were eating the bread, and Jesus took the loaf of unleavened bread, asked God’s blessing on it, and broke it. Jesus told the disciples to “Take it, for this is my body.” His words “this is my body” symbolize the spiritual nourishment believers obtain from a personal relationship with the Savior. Just as the Passover celebrated deliverance from slavery in Egypt, so the Lord’s Supper celebrates deliverance from sin by Christ’s death.

As with the bread, Jesus spoke words in figurative language. “This is my blood” means “This wine represents my blood.” Jesus’ blood, poured out on behalf of sinners, sealed the covenant between God and his people.

Under this new covenant, Jesus would die in the place of sinners. The old covenant was a shadow of the new, pointing forward to the day when Jesus himself would be the final and ultimate sacrifice for sin. Rather than an unblemished lamb slain on the altar, the perfect Lamb of God was slain on the cross as a sinless sacrifice so that our sins could be forgiven once and for all. Those who accept Christ’s sacrifice and believe in him receive forgiveness. Now all people can come directly to God through faith because Jesus’ death has made us acceptable in God’s eyes.

Both Luke and John reported that Jesus predicted both the disciples’ abandonment and Peter’s denial while they were still having supper. True to form, Peter reacted strongly to Jesus’ prediction. He could not imagine the disciples abandoning Jesus. Least of all himself. But before we criticize Peter, we should first see ourselves in him. Peter reminds us how easy it is to profess our faith and how difficult it is to remain loyal under pressure.

Peter did not think it possible for him to actually deny any relationship with Jesus. Not only Peter, but all the disciples declared that they would never deny Jesus. A few hours later, however, they all scattered.

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

Much like yesterday when we read about the widow who gave everything she had (two copper coins) - today, we see Mary give all she had to worship Jesus. Mary came to Jesus with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

When I worship, what am I bringing? Besides my offering, I need to bring my life, my family, my gifts, my talents - everything I have and everything I am and lay them at His feet.

"I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." John 12:24-26 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. The Lord spoke to me through 5 words in this morning's Scripture reading: "She did what she could."

    My Lord, how I pray this is what You say of my life. Despite my many foibles, my weaknesses and my sins, You still say to the Father,"She did what she could..." Nothing lofty, no great worldly achievements, no heroic acts, simply, "what she could."

    This brings me such joy and peace, for You are saying to me:

    "(1) do not be overwhelmed by the challenges of life;
    (2) do not fear failing to meet lofty goals.

    All I ask is that you do what you could with what I have given you."

    Thank you Lord. Yes, I have a job to do, assignments to complete. Grant me a simple-mindedness void of self-imposed complexity and complications, to pick up my cross daily and follow You.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete