Saturday, March 7, 2009

Day #67: March 8, 2009 - Mark 8:27- 9:13



Let me ask you to watch this video and see how it connects to the passage we are reading today.

In this passage today, we see that when Jesus and the disciples walked toward Caesarea Philippi, Jesus asked his disciples what they had heard from the people regarding his identity. The disciples answered with the common view that Jesus was one of the great prophets come back to life. This belief may have stemmed from Deuteronomy 18:18, where God said he would raise up a prophet from among the people.

Obviously, this response was incorrect, revealing that Jesus’ true identity was still unrecognized by the disciples. They didn’t see that Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God. Mark’s Gospel thus far has built up to this very question: “Who do you say I am?” Here the disciples have their “final exam,” their opportunity to show their understanding of Jesus, apart from what the crowds and religious leaders thought.

Just as the disciples had to come to a personal understanding, acknowledgment, and acceptance of Jesus, so each person must do the same.

Peter, often the one to speak up, declared what he had come to understand, “You are the Messiah.” In his declaration, Peter revealed his belief in Jesus as the promised King and Deliverer. From this point on, Jesus spoke plainly and directly to his disciples about his death and resurrection. He began to prepare them for what was going to happen to him by telling them three times that he would soon suffer and die and then be raised back to life.

This was too much for Peter. Jesus had spoken openly, but his news was most unwelcome. If Jesus was going to die, what did this mean for the disciples? If he was truly the Messiah, then what was all this talk about being killed? So Peter took Jesus aside and told him he shouldn’t say things like that.

Peter had just recognized Jesus as Messiah; here, however, he failed to see God’s perspective and evaluated what Jesus was saying about his impending death from a human perspective. Peter was speaking Satan’s words, thus Jesus rebuked Peter with the words, “Get away from me, Satan!” Unknowingly, Peter was trying to prevent Jesus from going to the cross and thus fulfilling his mission on earth.

The Christian life is a paradox: to attempt to keep your life means only to lose it. A person who keeps his or her life in order to satisfy desires and goals apart from God ultimately loses life. Not only does that person lose the eternal life, he or she loses the fullness of life promised to those who believe. By contrast, those who willingly give up their lives for the sake of Christ and of the gospel actually find true life.

To reinforce his words, Jesus asks a rhetorical question. What good would it be for a person to gain the whole world but to lose his or her soul? Every person will die, so, a world of pleasure centered on possessions, position, or power is ultimately worthless. Whatever a person has on earth is only temporary; it cannot be exchanged for his or her soul.

The Transfiguration clearly revealed not only that the disciples were correct in believing Jesus to be the Messiah, but that their commitment was well placed and their eternity was secure. Jesus was truly the Messiah, the divine Son of God.

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

Jesus is my Lord. He is the Healer of my life, the Savior of my soul, the one who Forgives my sins, the Provider of my needs, the Sustainer of my spirit, the Rock to which I cling. He is my truest Friend who will never leave me or forsake me.

Let me ask you all today - who do you say Jesus is? Maybe you can write a response today to today's blog. (give a testimony)

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." Psalm 18:2-3 (ESV)

"For thou hast been a refuge for me, A strong tower from the enemy." Psalm 61:3 (ASV)

"You protect the poor; you protect the helpless when they are in danger. You are like a shelter from storms, like shade that protects them from the heat." Isaiah 25:4 (NCV)

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts today! Your thoughts and your questions caused me to reflect a great deal.
    My testimony.. Psalms 51 comes to mind. I lived a great deal of my life WITHOUT looking to the CHRIST for HIS leading. If my life could be summed up during those times it could be done thusly; My life was lived PROVING to those around me that CHRIST was NOT necessary and that all I needed to do was "buckle down in my flesh" and "get'er done". Independence from GOD.
    I praise HIS NAME for the HOLY SPIRIT and the ministry of the HOLY SPIRIT in my life!(HIS work in not done!)
    I praise HIS NAME for men who continue to stand with open arms and empty hands, seeking to encourage those around them, saying "use me LORD".

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts and the video. The passionate words in the song brought me immediately to Psalm 124 (HCSB):

    "If the Lord had not been on our side, let Israel say - if the Lord had not been on our side when men attacked us,
    then they would have swallowed us alive in their raging anger against us.

    Then the waters would have engulfed us,
    the torrents would have swept over us,
    the raging waters would have swept over us.

    Praise the Lord.

    He has not let us be ripped apart by their teeth;
    We have escaped, like a bird from the hunter's net.
    The net is torn, and we have escaped.

    Our help is in the name of the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth."

    This is my testimony: "My help is in the name of our Lord, the One enthroned in heaven. So I raise my hands in this place and say this of the Lord, 'The Lord is my refuge and my fortress. My God, in whom I trust."

    Amen and Amen.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete