Tuesday, June 2, 2009

DAy #153: John 6:22-59

After feeding the crowd, Jesus told them: “Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that I, the Son of Man, can give you.” Jesus was saying that the people should not be following him because he provided free bread, but because he provides spiritual “bread”—bread that can give them eternal life. He wanted the people to look to him as the one who could provide the food that endures to eternal life. He himself is that food. By coming to him and receiving him by faith they would partake of the Bread of Life. That is why God the Father sent him.

The crowd missed Jesus’ words about how he would give the food that lasts for eternal life. So they asked, “What does God want us to do?” Jesus gave a straightforward answer: “This is what God wants you to do: Believe in the one he has sent.” Amazingly, the crowd then asked Jesus to do a miraculous sign if he wanted them to believe in him. The crowd had just seen the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves, but they wanted more—not just one day’s supply of bread, but a guarantee of continuous supply. They expected this from Jesus if he was the Messiah.


They missed the point. So Jesus told them directly, “I am the bread of life.” If people wanted this bread, they must come to Jesus and believe in him. When Jesus used the words “I am,” he was pointing to his unique, divine identity. In essence this statement says, “I the Lord God am here to provide you with everything you need for your spiritual life.”


For Jesus to say he is the Bread of Life is for him to say, “I am the sustenance of your life.” Just as bread supplies our bodies with strength and nourishment, Jesus, the true Bread from Heaven, had come to strengthen and nourish his people, so that they would never be hungry again and never thirst.


The protection covers them in this life and for eternity. Our spiritual hunger and thirst are satisfied in this life, and we know in the future that we will be raised from the dead to live with Jesus forever. Yet the guarantee does not apply to superficial attachment. We must follow him wholeheartedly and commit our lives to him.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)
Jesus is all I need. Sometimes I deceive myself and think I need 'this thing" or 'that thing' to make me fulfilled and content. What a lie. Jesus is all I need. He is with me when I wake, He walks with me through the day, He comforts me and provides for me and fills my life with purpose and passion. He protects me and makes a way for me. Lord, teach this lesson to our people and to the people of the San Ramon Valley and beyond.
"And my God shall supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19 (ASV)

Watch this video and listen to the words. Don't spend today going through the motions of life. Live passionately for the One who gave His all for you.

1 comment:

  1. When Jesus tells everyone that He is the bread that comes from Heaven and that if you eat this bread you will live forever to me refers to another way of saying that having salvation with Christ will give you eternal life.

    "that everyone who believes may have eternal life with Him." John 3:15

    Lord, thank You for the opportunity to love and worship You. Help us establish a realationship with You and have salvation with Christ. In Jesus Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete