Wednesday, October 28, 2009

DAY #301: 1 Thessalonians 5:11 - 2 Thessalonians 1:4

Paul wanted to leave some final instructions to all the believers so that they could continue to build up one another. The last portion of 1 Thessalonians focuses on three parts of life in a local church and how the relationships ought to work—from the pastors and leadership, through the fellowship and responsibilities of the believers, and finally to how they ought to worship. The instructions are as vital to churches today as they were in the first century.


The brothers and sisters in the church needed to show honor to those in leadership in order for everything to function smoothly. The word 'honor' is also translated 'respect.' These leaders in the Lord’s work probably were the elders who held positions of leadership and responsibility. Elders carried great responsibility, and they were expected to be good examples. Because these men work hard among the believers, they deserved to be honored. Paul expressed a similar thought in his letter to Timothy (1 Timothy 5:17).



Leaders are not to be ignored or argued with, they are to be thought of highly and given wholehearted love because of their work. When believers respect their leaders and join them in their work for God’s Kingdom, the church will grow. Of course, it also helps if the leader does not have to spend all his time in dealing with internal conflicts—hence, Paul’s reminder that believers should live peaceably with each other. All are to work together to build the Kingdom and to serve one another.




The best way for this 'peace' to occur is for all believers to serve with their God-given gifts, to let others use their gifts, and then to respect and love one another for what God is doing through them. While the leaders have special responsibility to guide the church, believers are not exempt from their responsibilities to care for one another.




First, they are to warn those who are lazy. The Greek word translated 'lazy' (ataktous) was used for soldiers who would not stay in the ranks. These people had set themselves outside the prescribed pattern for the church—everyone else was working and serving, but they would not. The problem with idle people is that, because they are not busy enough with valuable activities, they usually stir up trouble of one kind or another. These people need to be warned to get back in line and to use their God-given gifts in service for the Kingdom.



Second, they are to encourage those who are timid. The lazy need to be warned, but the timid need to be encouraged. The 'timid' are the fearful people who lack confidence—perhaps in themselves or even in their faith. They have become discouraged or worried, possibly by persecution or by the deaths of their fellow believers. These people need loving instruction from their fellow believers to calm their fears and to build their confidence.



Third, they are to take tender care of those who are weak. The word for 'take tender care' is antechesthe (also translated simply as “help”); it pictures the action of holding on to these people, wrapping arms around them, clinging to them.




Paul did not expect believers to spend all their time on their knees or with their eyes closed when he said they should keep on praying. In fact, he was quite adamant that everyone had work to do. It is possible, however, for believers to have a prayerful attitude at all times. This attitude is built upon acknowledging dependence on God, realizing his presence within, and determining to obey him fully. Then it will be natural to pray frequent, spontaneous, short prayers.



By warning the believers not to 'quench' the Holy Spirit, Paul meant that the believers in Thessalonica should not grieve the Spirit through any of the sins that have been mentioned in this letter—immorality and laziness, for example. This 'putting out the fire of the Spirit' is done through a critical spirit or a habitual sin or though grumbling and complaining. May the work of God never be quenched because of my disobedience or yours.




SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)
I know it's almost sport among some people to fillet our leaders today. And yet, God has a different way for us to go as believers. Over and over again in scripture, we are told to honor those who serve in leadership positions.
"Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith." Hebrews 13:7 (NIV)

"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you." Hebrews 13:17 (NIV)


As one of those who leads in the church, let me share with you some things I rarely share;

I define myself with clear priorities. I am first and foremost a follower and disciple of Jesus Christ, a born again child of God. I’m also a husband to an awesome wife, and a dad to four wonderful, awesome, great kids. Then I’m a Pastor to a great church. I love all of these realms of life and appreciate the people I’ve come to know in each.

As a Pastor, and I’m sure other church leaders will identify with what I’m about to write, I can say that there is tremendous pressure that few people realize. I don’t talk about it much but felt the need to clear my heart this morning. I hope you’ll appreciate the transparency here.
A congregation of a 400+ people wait for me to speak each week.

Right now, I’m speaking 4-5 times per week. I try not to acknowledge it much, but there is the pressure to be thoroughly studied and prepared to deliver a message with excellence and passion every time up. This is how it should be.

Families count on me to provide counsel. I have couples whose marriages I can’t seem to fix, people in financial need I can’t always provide for, and people dealing with huge questions and struggles for which I can’t always come up with an answer. I love them all and on a week with an intense amount of needs (like this one), I feel emotionally drained and exhausted. This is how it should be. No complaints.

A staff and organization waits on me for vision, direction, and leadership. Multiple ministry leaders need my input about spending money, starting projects, placing volunteers, and taking care of business in general. Tension in relationships is brought to me. I’m the leader, and I gladly accept it all. I love it. It’s how it should be.

All of these folks are not only looking for teaching, wisdom, leadership, and counsel, but for me to live my life as a godly example, walking with Christ. I must keep my walk and my mind clean. I must be prayed up and Spirit-filled. My message on Sunday needs to be the incarnation of my life throughout the week. And yes, this is exactly how it should be. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

But sometimes I want you to know that I’m weak. Sometimes I want you to know I cry at the end of a counseling session when I couldn’t fix a problem. Sometimes I want you to know I get to Saturday night and think of all the people I didn’t get to, that needed serving. I want you to know that sometimes I go home and think I did a pitiful job of presenting the Word. I want you to know I don’t feel capable or adequate sometimes.

Sometimes I just want you to know I’m not always the super-confident and ultra-positive guy I am when my task is to inspire others. I want you to know that while I’m hoping to help everyone else with the issues of their life, I long for God to rid me of this thorn in the flesh I have been given. (ask me about it sometime, in private)

Sometimes I really need somebody to know just how weak I am so that the pressure will be off. And I think thousands of other ministry leaders are probably dying on the inside to say the same thing. But here’s what I want you to know, even more than how weak I am – it’s just how strong God is. Paul did battle with some infirmity, either physical or spiritual, and begged God to just take it away. God’s answer was “no” on at least three different occasions. What did Paul learn from God’s denial?

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (ESV)

When I am weak, God shines. When I am weak, I’m finally available to bring glory to God instead of myself. When I am weak, others see themselves and what God can do in, around, and through a weakling like me. This is definitely how it should be. It’s my calling, and I gladly and humbly accept it.

God has chosen to take “earthen vessels” (okay, cracked pots) and the “base things” of the world to absolutely confound the mighty and to carry His perfect and powerful message. He’s not looking for superstars, but for weaklings… like me.

I’m not complaining. In fact, I haven’t really been through much compared to the apostles and martyrs of history, and especially in comparison with Jesus’ suffering, so I gladly accept this calling and responsibility. I gladly take the pressure for the kingdom’s sake. I just wanted you to know how I feel sometimes, and how much I praise and appreciate God’s strength and power to see me through.I wonder, do you ever feel weak like me? I can tell you all about the One who makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment